Focus on Literacy
Literacy is the core academic skill on which all future learning is based. For this reason, Leadership Prep Ocean Hill's academic program has a laser-like focus on literacy during the middle school years. Specifically, we do this by:
• Using research-proven curricula
• Having small reading groups with one teacher
• Having extensive professional development for our teachers on techniques that have proven to be effective in promoting literacy skills among low-income students
• Using early and frequent assessment to identify students in need of extra help, craft effective interventions, and measure the efficacy of our program and interventions
Set a High Bar Academically and Behaviorally
At Leadership Prep Ocean Hill Middle Academy, we set high academic standards that are commensurate with a future of college prep high school and college for all our students. We challenge them to be their best. At Leadership Prep Ocean Hill Middle Academy, our teachers are caring and warm, yet hold students to high behavioral standards which are consistent throughout the school. We sweat the “small” stuff to ensure that the larger more serious behaviors never occur. The result is a respectful and orderly environment in which students can focus on learning and teachers can focus on teaching.
Personalized Attention for Every Student
Each student is assigned to an advisory homeroom. The advisory is managed by two teachers, serving as the student’s primary touch point for the school. All teachers provide highly effective, highly differentiated instruction to each student every day.
More Learning Time
To ensure that our students achieve academically, Leadership Prep Ocean Hill Middle Academy relies on an extended school day (7:15AM to 4:00 PM) and an extended school year (186 days). We provide extensive instruction in the core academic subjects as well as enrichment opportunities and a focus on character education. This arrangement allows for more instructional time than that provided by NYC district schools each year. Our program also includes significant amounts of homework every night. We ask parents to be engaged in the homework process and we provide a Homework Hotline for families to call each night in order to ensure that their students are completing the assigned daily homework correctly.
Data to Drive Instruction
Great teachers need to know when they are being effective and when they are not. At Leadership Prep Ocean Hill Middle Academy, we use regular assessments to determine which standards have been mastered and which we still need to be taught. We have frequent and frank conversations about which students are learning, which are not, and what can be done to ensure that students master the necessary skills and content across subject areas.
The path to and through college can be a long and arduous climb. To get our students through the long climb to college, Leadership Prep Ocean Hill Middle Academy instills in our students the personal qualities they will need to succeed. Our school creed teaches the MAPP Values: Mindfulness, Achievement, Professionalism and Preparedness. Weekly all-school meetings reinforce these values and celebrate student achievement.
Active family involvement in school and learning is essential to meeting Leadership Prep Ocean Hill Middle Academy’s mission of preparing students to succeed in high school and college. Our staff fosters family engagement in our students' learning and success through abundant and on-going communication between the parents and school. We create a dynamic in which we are partners with families in promoting their children's academic success. Specifically, we:
• Welcome Back and Orientation events prior to the 1st day of school.
• Provide an Accountability Contract, which lets families know what they can count on from the school and clarifies the school's expectations of students and families
• Meet with families for at least three formal conferences each year to discuss their child's progress
• Send home bi-weekly behavioral updates and academic progress reports
• Celebrate success with parents
• Provide periodic evening or weekend workshops designed to help families hone the skills they need to be effective teachers for their children
• Create regular events in which families are invited into the school to celebrate student achievement
Internet and Computer Use
The Leadership Prep Ocean Hill Middle Academy computer network is provided for students to conduct research, complete assignments, and communicate with others. Access to network services is given to students who agree to act in a considerate and responsible manner. Parent permission is required. Access is a privilege – not a right. Access entails responsibility.
Students are responsible for good behavior using the computers just as they are in a classroom or school hallway. Computer network storage (hard drives and personal folders) may be treated like school lockers. Network administrators and teachers may review files and communications to maintain system integrity and ensure that users are using the system responsibly.
The following misuses of the computer system are not permitted:
• Sending and/or displaying hateful or pornographic messages or pictures
• Using abusive, threatening or inappropriate language
• Harassing, insulting or attacking others
• Engaging in or promoting violence
• Engaging in racial, gender, or other slurs
• Receiving or transmitting information pertaining to weapons, such as bombs, automatic weapons, illicit firearms or explosive devices
• Damaging technology equipment (computer systems, computer networks, TVs, VCRs, digital cameras, or scanners)
• Violating copyright laws (copy internet or other materials without permission)
• Using others' passwords
• Trespassing in other students and/or teachers' folders, work, or files
• Intentionally wasting limited resources
• Employing the computer network for commercial purposes
• Transmitting personal information without written parental consent
• Accessing areas considered borderline without written parental consent
• Hacking (attempt to gain unauthorized access to files, folders, and/or other systems)
All student internet usage is monitored and managed with our electronic monitoring systems.
Violations will result in loss of computer use as well as other disciplinary or legal action.